Head of Legal (Legal, Secretarial, Compliance and Risk Management)
Kuala Lumpur, MALAYSIA
15 - 25 Year(s)
Lead and manage a team (including but not limited to overseeing and reviewing the work of legal and secretariat managers and executives).
- Responsible for working with the operations and business teams on structuring the acquisition and disposal of real estate, fundraising, merger, and joint venture projects as well as advisory on compliance with the laws and regulatory requirements governing the business of the company in Malaysia including REIT and non -REIT entities.
- Review contractual documents and litigation matters which have been managed by the team and which require critical decisions.
- Structure transactions, manage external counsel, and provide general legal advice including cross-border legal support to various businesses and functions within the Malaysia group of companies.
- Provide response and necessary information within the compliance requirements during internal audits and external audits/enquiries by the authorities/regulators.
- Attend to and solve any legal, risk and compliance issues that may arise from time to time.
- Ensure that all legal, risk, and compliance obligations pertaining to the real estate investment trust and manager of the trust are met at all times.
- Develop and maintain a close and productive working relationship between members of the team and vis a vis other key departments within the Malaysia companies.
- Develop and maintain professional standards within the team and maintain the integrity of all systems and reports.
- Establish rapport with subordinates, create and maintain department morale and build team efforts to achieve excellent results.
- Ensure good team discipline in terms of adherence to the company's policies, attendance to the job scope, and punctuality to the office.
- Lead, provide guidance and delegate tasks to subordinates as well as assess their performance. Supervise and monitor their job scope for purposes of satisfactory job completion. Motivate and mentor subordinates towards self-improvement and better job performance.
- Conduct succession planning to ensure the sustainability of the department and overall company's interests.
- Perform any other duties, which may be assigned/directed by the Group General Counsel and CEOs of the Malaysia companies from time to time.
- At least a Bachelor's Degree in Law or equivalent. Called to the Malaysian Bar is an added advantage
- Possesses experience from practice in a legal firm in Malaysia and a minimum of 15 years of experience in a Malaysian Corporation and/or Public Listed Company would be an added advantage.
- Well exposed to litigation, corporate law practice, transactional M&A especially in real estate, and fundraising work gained from private practice and/or as an in-house lawyer.
- Possess a good understanding of regulatory guidelines, policies, and operating processes pertaining to securities governed by the Securities Commission Malaysia and Bursa Malaysia.
- Excellent interpersonal skills & ability to interact with all levels.
- Analytical and possesses an inquisitive mind.
- Good written and communication skills.
- Good team player.
- Possess strong leadership and people management.
- Be able to work under pressure to meet tight deadlines.
- Flexible and result-oriented in approach.
- Proven ability to be able to prioritize and manage multiple projects and resolve problems in a timely manner.
This position is only open to Malaysian citizens.