APAC Regional Counsel (MNC, flexible work)
Compliance/Regulatory,Corporate / M&A / Commercial
Kuala Lumpur, MALAYSIA
10 - 20 Year(s)
- Design and manage the strategy, direction and activities of the Asia Pacific legal and compliance function.
- Advise, counsel and provide legal services to the business in Asia Pacific, their goals and challenges and identify appropriate legal and compliance strategies to facilitate those goals and minimize those challenges.
- Work collaboratively with executive leadership, department managers and staff throughout the organization to establish policies and procedures that drive efficient and effective business practices in all forms while ensuring alignment with global and local laws and policies.
- Negotiate and document commercial transactions, contracts, and other legal arrangements including distribution, dealer and sales agency transactions.
- Assist with the development and implementation of policies and programs relating to anti-corruption and compliant business practices.
- Engage proactively and advise colleagues on the prioritization of risks and to identify, monitor and improve key processes and internal controls.
- Be a critical team member in formulating an appropriate intellectual property strategy for Asia Pacific.
- Develop appropriate approaches to dispute resolution, lawsuits, and arbitration ; provide regular, clear communication of litigation issues and opportunities to the affected business and to the General Counsel.
- Emphasize and demonstrate operational excellence and balanced risk taking on a consistent and regular basis.
- Work with the compliance team to identify and mitigate compliance risks and develop appropriate countermeasures. Conduct compliance related investigations and implement action plans to remediate identified issues.
- Assist with mergers & acquisition, consistent with relevant experience � from due diligence to documentation depending on the situation and background.
- Educate business leadership on the appropriate use and �leverage� of in-house counsel.
- Assist HR colleagues with labor and employment law support.
- Assist Quality and Regulatory Affairs colleagues with regulatory law support.
- Select appropriate outside counsel and work closely with them.
- Work on the smallest and simplest, as well as the most complex, legal matters faced by the company.
The ideal candidate should :
- at least 10 years legal experience with combination of private practice in reputable firm and MNC in-house working experience.
- have experience providing legal support to business operation in different countries
- have experience in drafting, reviewing, advising and negotiating commercial and operational contracts
- have experience in conducting legal training for internal stakeholders
- have experience in distribution, manufacturing or trading business (most ideal but not a must.)
- be willing to travel as much as 20% to 30% (initial 1 to 2 months could be as much as may be 50%)
- have good communication skills and people oriented.
- have good business acumen
- be willing to work on different time zones within the region
This position is only open to Malaysian citizens.